Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A True Parable

I was on the bus yesterday morning, running late as usual. It was crowded, but I did manage to get a seat.

Right across the aisle from me sat a woman with a large handbag. From out of the handbag on her lap she fished a wrapped lifesaver-shaped mint and a pen. I wondered why she needed both, until she used the pen to poke a hole in the wrapper, which was smart. I turned away as she popped the mint in her mouth.

When I turned back, the wrapper from the mint was on the ground right next to her foot. How could she be so callous as to litter? Littering is wrong. Well, maybe she inadvertently dropped it. I knew a way to get her to pick it up.

"Ma'am, you dropped your wrapper."

She chuckled, a bit embarassed, said, "Thank you," and then proceeded to use her foot to sweep the wrapper under her seat, murmuring, "I'll leave that for them."

For a moment, I was awed by her shamelessness. I had pointed out her littering to her (politely), and she proceeded to make it worse! There was no way she had just accidentally dropped that mint wrapper!

I was not until later that I realized I should have simply bent over and picked up the wrapper myself, without a word.

No comments: