Tuesday, June 06, 2006

And We Went Dancing

Sweetheart and I had dancing lessons this evening. We're just doing it on a lark as a fun couple thing, and I'm enjoying it. We're surprisingly not terrible at it thus far. Of course, the dance people are now laying on the hard sell, trying to get us to commit for a year.

I find the selling process so frustrating. I'm interested in the lessons, otherwise I wouldn't show up. But at the dance studio, they won't come straight out and tell you how much a lesson costs. They have to set up your entire "dancing plan," and you pay a monthly amount with which you're "comfortable." What the heck does that mean? Meanwhile, they're asking personal questions trying to establish rapport, which doesn't work, and trying to talk up how important it is to know how to dance as a life skill, which also falls flat for me. I want to dance; let's just have a straightforward transaction, like buying a gallon of milk. I really think they'd get farther that way.

At any rate, I like the dancing, particularly the tango. Sweetheart is an aggressive lead, especially for that, which is appropriate. I need the aggressive lead to keep me in check. In some ways dancing is a zen exercise for a woman; I have to let go of thinking of where I want to go and what moves I want to do and just follow my partner. It's a good practice for me. Now, why don't the dance people try to sell the lessons as spiritual practice? That's a great angle!

No comments: