Sunday, August 13, 2006

Know your Saint Marys: The Mother of God

And now, another new feature of Mary Like the Saint. Certainly, the title of my blog begs the question, "But which Saint Mary is she like?" Well, fortunately there are a plethora of St. Marys from which I can choose, so I can be like a different Saint Mary depending on my mood. Each Mary has something to offer.

I think it's appropriate to start with probably the greatest of Saint Marys: the Mother of God, aka Our Blessed Lady, the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mother, Mediatrix of all Graces, and other acclamations. Catholic Online claims her the greatest of all Christian saints. In 1950, Pope Pius XII declared as a dogma of the church St. Mary's assumption, meaning that she was bodily taken into heaven upon her death, placing her on a close to equal footing to Christ himself, and providing Christian women of many persuasions their model of ideal femininity.

No comments: